Monday, December 27, 2010

Visions of the 1970's


I found this groovy quilt yesterday at Goodwill. It's completely made of polyester double knit, that is, all but the avocado drapery fabric back and yarn ties. In one corner, the maker embroidered "74." I'm going to assume that was the year it was made, which was the year after I graduated from high school.




This morning I noticed how this quilt is weirdly similar. When I made it a few years ago in a Kaffe Fassett class, I didn't know why I was choosing these colors. The greenish brown was especially odd for me. But the look felt familiar in some way. Kaffe commented that this quilt had "a sense of history to it."




My sister-in-law, Bonnie, has talked about how the things we see in our childhood have a profound influence on our creative vision.



Hmm. Maybe this is proof of that!

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Ah, the double knits which will last forever and never fade. they sure were great for clothes that always looked new and I'm sure that quilt will look new forever too.

Julie Fukuda said...

Never thought about it that way. It reminds me of stuff I made in the early 60s, not as works of beauty but needing warmth in unheated apartments. I got remnants from makers of clothing or home wear, pieced them and tied them.

Em said...

So fun, LeeAnn to correlate the 2. What a find. Looks so warm and reminds me of camping blankets we would snuggle up in when I would go in the trailer with my neighbor friend as a young girl. Happy Tuesday, Em

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh, I love it. what a hoot. that is a quilt you can put in the sunniest place in your house and never worry about it! ooh, and fun dotty quilt of yours too.

Janet said...

Definitely hang onto the retro quilt, one day there may be very few of these left. I love the bow tie quilt.

Chris said...

Awesome how these quilts talked to each other across the years - might even way, it's pretty nifty! :)

denise said...

oooooohhhh a good find on that poly quilt. I have a 'sister poly quilt' to yours, she's made up of squares, and not rectangles, but it's the same backing! I picked it up a few years ago at Goodwill -- I love the colors and use it on a bed year round -- at home in the winter and at our campsite in the Berkshires. It's not soft like a nice cotton quilt but it's colors make me happy.