I just finished quilting this. It's called "Crazy Scraps," and is 84" square. I made the top last summer, shortly after I started blogging. Victoria suggested we make "15 minute" blocks by adding scraps to a five-sided piece. I decided I'd do this on a large scale and make a modern crazy quilt.
Each block is 12" square. After choosing--and sometimes fussy cutting--the five-sided piece, I sewed on scraps that I grabbed randomly from my huge, all inclusive bin.
The back is an old Sears bed coverlet that I found at Goodwill for $5. It was 90" x 108", plenty large for this project. When a friend said it was "hideous," little did she know that was a compliment to me!
Here's Malti with the quilt I'm sending to Basic Housing, Inc. in New York. I hope it will bring warmth and comfort to a needy family.
It's got a 1970's theme and lots of thrift store fabrics.
This is the first time I've used the extra backing fabric for the binding. Just trim it, bring it to the front, fold and stitch--super easy. I think they did this in years past to save fabric.
|I love this backing fabric!|