Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Few Finishes


Finally quilted this top, which I made two years ago. It's a stack and cut pattern from the book, Certifiably Crazy, by Janet Nesbitt and Pam Soliday of Buggy Barn Quilts. I made it all from thrift store shirts. The shirt backs work nicely as fat quarters.



This fabric is on the back. I found it at Goodwill, 4 yards for about $2. This really took me down memory lane. In 1973, my high school graduation dress was made of the same fabric!


Here's another one made from those shirts. It's a pattern from Priscilla Bianchi's book, Caliente quilts!


This is the back. I found this fabric at a yard sale, and bought it all--I think I have 12 yards of it.



This quilt just came back from being quilted by the lovely Holly at The Quilting Loft. It's off to NYC for Janet and Jen's 10th anniversary! I thought it looked nice with the Johnson's Blue geraniums.

13 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

The colors of these two quilts from thrift store shirts are just sooo fabulous. Very rich deep colors and the look fantastic! Really nice job nifty!!!

Sujata Shah said...

Great to see that quilt done! I love the fact that your dress was made out of the same fabric as the back.. I can not imagine your face when you saw that fabric at the thrift shop!!
You and Buffy always found the best of the crop at the thrift shops.
Or it is the other way around..they find you!
Beautiful quilts!

shellysquilts said...

Hey LeeAnn, Fabulous stuff! I love it! Well done! Have a great week! Happy sewing!

beth said...

Love ALL the quilts especially that first one. GREAT job!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the Priscilla Bianchi twirling star one EVEN THOUGH my favorite star got edited out...where IS my favorite star???? Do you still have it? Could I use it as the start of a new quilt??? Bon

Spangle said...

These are so bright and happy!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful, happy quilts. love that backing fabric - that is a hoot. do you have any left? would make a fun quilt as the star of the show.

Clare said...

Thrift store shirts are wonderful. Like that backing fabric too.

Mego said...

LOVE the BB quilt! I have been wanting to make that one FOREVER! I have the book, the fabric and now I just need the time. Also a space where I can leave those little pieces sitting there 'til I get to them. What a great idea to make it out of shirts!!!

BTW I adore The Quilting Loft!

Vivian said...

Fun quilts, & I adore the Buggy Barn flowers.
I always enjoy stories about backs (the forgotten part of quilts).
Thanks for that tip about using the back of a shirt as a FQ. I've stored that factoid away for future use.

Magpie Sue said...

You are making really good use of those shirts! I love that flower quilt - and the story of the back. That's great fabric; what a lucky find.

Vesuviusmama said...

I love seeing re-purposed clothing in quilts. They are both fun and wonderful!

Selvage Quilter said...

All these quilts are awesome!! I love your fabrics and colors. You're really on a roll!
Karen