Monday, August 23, 2010

Quilted at last!


The last few weeks, I've been quilting old tops from a year or two ago. This one's called "Green Spools" because it's made from 100% "green" (recycled) fabrics and, well, it's green. If you look closely, you can see the Old Navy signature on the grey spool.



I love fabrics from the 1970's, back when I was a teen and energetic young woman. The border fabric is from that era--you know--peace, love and flower power.



The back is from a garage sale. I love the old wall paper look.





This one I call "Sunshine and Scraps." It's inspired by one I saw on the Material Obsession site a few years ago. Everything came from my stash.







The Amy Butler fabric on the back came from a sale rack a few months ago.

Special thanks to Shelly for her encouragement about free-motion quilting. As she says, "Sit up straight, stick the girls out and breathe."

15 comments:

shellysquilts said...

Lee Ann, I love this quilt and your quilting looks GREAT! Well done! Have a great week and happy quilting!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Love all the colors! What FUN!! those backing fabrics I wish I had... got a name on the pink? I never saw that Amy Butler in orange, love it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

love that spool quilt!!! your fabrics are wonderful. never would have that that was all recycled fabric - I never seem to buy anything but plaids and stripes!

Buffy said...

The Spool Quilt is a knockout! Who'd a thought it way back when you were putting all those fabrics together??? Really set off by outrageous border!!

Bonnie Hull said...

Wow gorgeous LeeAnn...I'll send you a picture of a bit of that old navy shirt in the State of O quilt...think we bought it at the Ballard Goodwill and cut it in half!? Your work is beautiful.

Vesuviusmama said...

What wonderful quilts! Those backings are great, too! FMQ, here I come!1

Anonymous said...

Shelly's advice holds true for many things! Love seeing your work,
Kimber

Alexis said...

Great quilts! I need to follow Shelly's advice and get some tops around here quilted too. Seeing yours is so inspiring!

Sharon said...

Wonderful 'green' quilts! I love your Spools quilt, especially the different size blocks. The border and backing is perfect for it!

Sunshine and Scraps is a busy, fun quilt. . . gives me some ideas of cutting scraps!

I think your FMQ is great. Very inspiring, as I have some things to get quilted around here too.

Well done!

JoAnne said...

Found you through the Selvage Blog this a.m. and I love your quilts. Wonderful use of color and prints! Very inspiring this morning!

Béa said...

Found you trough the Selvage Blog too...and love your quilts. Hugs from France.

Mary L. said...

Love them all, but especially Sunshine & Scraps!

Pat Sloan said...

now i know what to do with the beachball fabric!

Leah said...

ooooh, i love green spools - such wonderful colors!!

Cheryl Willis said...

I hate spool block quilts- correction, I use to hate spool blocks- going to have to re-think this pattern. B.ugly is the new Beautiful! cw