Friday, September 24, 2010

Peculiar fabrics


Tonya, over at Lazy Gal, and I have been talking about peculiar fabrics from thrift stores. We have another name for them, but never mind. Here's a quilt I made from peculiars last year. The plaid came from some very dusty kitchen curtains. Luckily they washed up just fine. I don't know if they're from the 1960's or 70's, but they remind me of the avocado appliances that were trendy in the day.

Buffy, over at Rebels, was with me at Goodwill when we stumbled upon them. At first we walked away, probably with some scrunched up looks on our faces. Then we went back. I think they cost all of $4. The plaid was very picky about which other fabrics could play.



The back is inspired by a Gee's Bend quilt. I found this panel on another trip to Goodwill. It's come out of the closet again, now that the fall chill has begun.

Happy Autumn!

6 comments:

Browndirtcottage said...

.....WOW.....KAPOW!! LOVE...LOVE...LOVE THIS!!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ooh! perhaps we can hit one or two thrift shops in Nov? I love that plaid, was it a heavy cotton? because I have a similar fabric that is sort of home decor weight, same plaid! I know, I love peculiar fabrics!

Sujata Shah said...

That quilt just cheers me up!
Victoria, you should definitely go to the thrift shop with Nifty.. They have been so good at finding treasures.

Clare said...

Like the way you've used the fabrics. Particularly love the top middle and top right.

Marit said...

Your autumn village is ab fab! Glowing, warm colours...
And the quilting adds a great touch.
It's funny how sometimes the "strange" or even "ugly" pieces can lift a quilt. Maybe they bring the needed, extra contrast into the mix?

Tonya Ricucci said...

love it, what a hoot. if those all came from the thrift shop, you really do have different choices than I do here. Although I could have gotten a wild pair of black velvet pants with bright flowers - so bugly they'd be fabulous."bugly" being the abbreviation for the descriptive phrase in question.