Sunday, October 9, 2011

Got Corduroy?

Corduroy Appreciation Day, 11-11-11, is just one month away!  Are you preparing to celebrate with a corduroy quilt?



Some of you have written that you're feeling a bit intimidated about working with corduroy.  I'll admit, I was too.  But I grabbed my pile of corduroy and a pair of scissors, and dove in.  I found I really love working with corduroy, especially on a rainy day.  I can't wait to make another one!

Here's the process I used, which is one I learned from China Pettway, of Gee's Bend, Alabama.

First, PUT AWAY YOUR ROTARY CUTTER AND RULER.  You'll only need your scissors.  Next, cut or tear--yes, TEAR--your corduroy into strips of various widths. 


Sew two pieces together, using a bit more than 1/4" seam allowance; iron the seam open from the WRONG side of the fabric.  The corduroy really takes the press nicely and stays open and flat.  Notice there's excess.  Take your scissors and cut it off.  Don't measure; just eyeball it.



Then sew on another piece; iron open, and cut off the excess.

You may be tempted to get out your ruler and square it up.  DON'T!  Just eyeball it.



 This will give you nice subtle angles.



Keep adding to your block in whatever way you like, until you feel like moving on to another block.


Then make more!  Use your scissors and eyeball measurements to make them fit together.  Sometimes you'll need to add a strip here or there. 

This is about one-third of the quilt top I made.  I'm thinking we should reveal our corduroy quilts on our blogs on the big day.  Let me know if you plan to participate, and I'll post a list of Corduroy Quilt Makers with a link to your blog.

Save the wales!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love the fact that you and others are celebrating National Corduroy day! How fun! I am looking forward to following all of the progress. Oh, that is going to be one heavy quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the idea, love the process -- but I won't be cutting corduroy with scissors, even though I'd like to join in.

I'll be cheering you and the others on!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Save the wales! You are too funny. I have never thought of using corduroy. Are you also using batting?

Tonya Ricucci said...

woohoo! great tutorial. I'm totally going to do this, just have to wash my corduroy first. Save the Wales!

Teodo said...

Thanks for this tutorial, I'm going to save it.!!!
ciao ciao Linda

Kim said...

Wait did you already have a class with her?
You lucky dog!
love this idea but buying more fabric.....probably not.
I'll have to cheer you on from the side lines.....or make it from wool :0) wouldn't that be cool?

Happy Sewing

YankeeQuilter said...

Alright, I'm in...it will not be a big project but I'm in! (Another good reason to use scissors with cord is the dust storm that a rotary cutter raises...learned that the hard way when making Halloween costumes.)

Mary Keasler said...

Thanks for the tute, and the preview. I love it. 11/11/11 will be a wale of a day!

smazoochie said...

Lucky you, taking a class from Ms. Pettway! And thanks for sharing. Tearing corduroy -- is there corduroy nap everywhere?
Love the progress. My top is prepped for tying.

Buffy said...

Looking good! Is that a new design wall? Yea!!

Buffy said...

Re: above comments
I used a wool batt, because it is easy to hand quilt. The quilt, all 24"x30" of it is soft and puffy. Would be great combo for cuddle quilt. Also using Sulky Blendable 12 wt thread for hand quilting.

Helen said...

You are talking me into starting another quilt. I have pinwale and wide wale yardage from several sewing projects that never materialized. Finally can use them for something fun and easy. Don't have to worry about nap direction, right?

Sujata Shah said...

I have got corduroy! Hopefully, I will be working with it soon!

Clare said...

Sorry - no corduroy, but will be cheering you on from the side lines.

Andrea, the little collector said...

Love your great mantra! Save them indeed.

Debbie Guihot said...

Love your casual corduroy method . When our youngest moved out of home I decided to make a warm quilt . Corduroy and Flannel Wool wadding and wait for it a wide wale cord backing. Tied it all together and there it was Weighed a ton, can't imagine how he breathed even under the weight. But he was and still is warm as toast. Debbie from The Plague and I

Carli The Quilter said...

I am in, I love quilting with corduroy! Lets celebrate it for sure! At my blog on 11-11-11 I'll post my version of a corduroy quilt!

Carli The Quilter said...

Love the idea, I'll post mine at the following blog.
www.goodearthquilting.blogspot.com

Great Idea, thanks to Deb for thinking it up.:)