Sunday, July 15, 2012

Back to Sewing!

I've been away from sewing for awhile, working on a home improvement project.  Thankfully, it's mostly done and I can start sewing again.  Feeling a little out of the swing, I needed some inspiration to get going again.  

I  became intrigued by Beth's post on "low volume" quilts.  Many quilt bloggers are making these.  There's a flickr group here.   What is it about white?  For me, it reminds me of the old quilts my great-grandmother made, those cool to the touch, lightweight quilts I slept with during the summer as a kid.  




So I started playing around with my "low volume" scraps.  But, being who I am, I just had to add some red.  Then I realized it's looking a lot like a quilt that Bonnie made.  She worked on hers at my house a few years ago.  After that, I noticed that even Victoria is getting excited about white!  It's amazing how ideas get planted, and you don't even know they're there!  





Bonnie's quilt



Yesterday I went to Buffy's house for more inspiration.


Tennessee Lightnin' got a border!
  Buffy said, "We really go out of our way to use outrageous fabrics."  Yup.  She's right!





Here's one of the corner stones.  Mary very generously sent me an old bark cloth curtain panel she had. I was going to border this quilt with it, but I'm hoarding it for another project.  By the way, you'll enjoy visiting her today and seeing the amazing quilt she's making from a Nancy Crow workshop!






And I basted "Winter Solstice."  Can't wait to start quilting this! 

It feels great to be back in the saddle again!

22 comments:

smazoochie said...

Low volume & its opposite -- both fun to work with. I love the sparkles of red in yours. The Lightnin' & the string stars both beckon me like sirens.
Thanks for the mention, I really appreciate it. And welcome back, I've missed you!

Kim said...

Oh boy I just love that border on the Tennessee Lightnin...perfect.
I'm making some progress on mine but now I have to take a break too :0(.

Happy hand quilting on Winter Solstice...oh I just loves those pokeydots!

Yahoo.....there gonna be so pretty!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That pop of red among the low volume is perfect! Winter Solstice is awesome!

Mary Keasler said...

love your low volume look. makes me want to begin another vanilla bean project, only this time with those bits of color. yum yum. great to see you back in the saddle.

Sujata Shah said...

I read about those low volume quilts from Anita's post. Thinking of starting one myself too. Love your version and Bonnie's too.
Those crazy fabrics.. can't have enough of them right? The border fabric is great for the lightening quilt.

Karen said...

A very inspirational post - love all the ideas - especially your low volume scrap blocks - the red is perfect!!

Helen said...

Whites? Yes, that reminds me I need to get at my Snowballs. You have inspired me yet again. Glad you're back where you belong!

Sharon said...

You cranked up the volume from your first photo to the last one. Just shows how our mood reflects what we create, or does what we create reflect our mood? Love both of these projects. The dots and plaid make your string stars sing.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Wow Nifty, you certainly are back in the saddle! I love your low volume blocks and your winter solstice is beautiful can't wait to see how you will quilt it. Thanks for all the inspiration here today! xo

audrey said...

I adore your 'low volume' scrappiness with the red. I think it's the old fashioned look that gets me.

Marit said...

Love your new start with the pops of red!
It's good working with different color palettes. Lots of color, then small pops of color.
Your Winter Solstice looks so inviting. Have fun quilting it!
; )

Karyn said...

I love the winter solstice stars!

Barb said...

What a great post of inspiration!! I really like your low volume log cabin, very cool

Mary said...

Love your low volume blocks with the red :) The Tennessee Lightnin' is fabulous and that border is perfect! Can't wait to see your quilting on Winter Solistice!

Janet said...

I'm enamoured with all your projects, I'm loving seeing the low volume works and the winter solstice is wow.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nifty. Glad you're back. The white blocks have a bit of punch with the red--very pretty. Interesting how these new names pop up...And you're Winter Solstice is going to be smashing. Really like the b/w polka dot with the red plaid. Stay cool!
best, nadia

Rachaeldaisy said...

Whoa, you really are back in the saddle whipping up some wonderful things!!! It's great to see some of your wonderful tops getting ready for quilting. Love Tennasee Lightnings border, and very cool cornerstones!! I love old broadcloth! Love your new blocks, I've got a pile of whites snd creams waiting for a project, I hadnt noticed the new Low Volume trend, how fun!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Welcome back, indeed!!!

SO much eye candy today . . . and food for thought . . . .

apiecefullife said...

I have been having trouble working out what this " low volume" quilts is about. Thinner batting?
Oh I have been doing this for some time with my white quilts:
http://apiecefullife.blogspot.com.au/
Now I have a name.

PatSloan said...

your zig zag is great!!! And I love the cream and red.. striking.

I have a quilt where I HAD to use busy bold fabric.. nobody in my sewing group 'gets it'.. but I LOVE it!

pratima said...

You've been working on so many lovely projects! They look wonderful and very unique from each other! The border for the lightning quilt top is breezy and perfect!

Tonya Ricucci said...

the first thing I thought of was Bonnie's gorgeous quilt - she was working on it last summer when I was out there. wish I could see these in person!