"Spare Parts" 87" x 87"
I finished this quilt top recently. It's all made from "orphan" blocks,
(meaning parts that didn't make it into other quilts.)
It was on my design wall for three solid months, finding it's way to completion.
It all started out as an attempt to use all my orphan blocks that fit into
this color range.
The baskets are from Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran's book,
They seemed to need a border, so I pulled out some sawtooth strips from
a block exchange I participated in years ago.
What next? I had some words I'd made from Tonya Ricucci's book,
Word Play Quilts.
"Moderation" fit the color scheme, but I saved it for another day.
Besides, the word "moderation" in this mess seemed a little TOO ironic!
I loved those green and white fans all lined up, and the Freddy chickens.
But something wasn't right.
The fans are extras from my "Eyelashes" quilt.
So I took them out, and added more spools and simple log cabin blocks.
You can find the spools and basket quilts here.
Still, something was not quite right.
At least I found a home for some of the fans.
I realized it needed a little calming down, so I added solid red.
I had lots of string pieced leaves, cut out years ago,
and some extra basket handles for the vines.
A couple of weekend road trips, and the leaves were appliqued on.
Now, if I just made it a little bigger, it would fit nicely on a queen size bed.
Ah-hah! I had lots of leftover blocks from the
"Organized Chaos" quilt.
And I still have plenty of spare parts leftover for a rainy day.
Good thing. We're having lots of rainy days around here.