Monday, October 21, 2013

A very colorful day

A great big cloud has been stuck over Seattle the last few days.  
It seems to move only up and down--dense fog or white sky, neither one letting the sun shine through.
But it's a great backdrop for color that comes about through creativity.  



Yesterday, I started the day with my weekly trip to the local farmer's market.  



In my neighborhood, they close a street on Sundays and farmers come to sell their bounty.



So there I am, buying my veggies, and I turn around to see...



This beautiful woman with her hand-embroidered jacket!  She was very gracious as I gushed over her thrift store jacket, which she embellished herself.  Check out the handmade treasures at her etsy shop.



Then I spotted this bunch of kimonos hanging on a fence with a sign, $20 each!
Of course, I just couldn't walk away from the one on the left.  



It's a heavier silk or silk/cotton mix.  LOTS of yardage!



After that,  Em came over and we rode the ferry to Vashon Island to see Freddy Moran's quilts!
The show is up at Island Quilter through October 31.



I'm loving her collage quilts, inspired by Edrica Huws.




I've been told that Freddy uses a glue stick to secure the pieces onto her black and white background.
Em's been using this technique for years.  

Here are a few of my favorite quilts in the show.




How about those buttons and yo-yos?







Notice the 3-D dragonfly on the right side.




Of course, I had to buy some large floral fabrics and come home and cut them out.  

Hmm, maybe I should try them against a white sky.






22 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my goodness were these raw edge applique? Em has been doing that for years :0) and I love her creations , isn't it fun you found each other?
Thanks for the quilt show and more inspiration!
And yes that embroidered jacket is just the nuts :0), ...great looking on her. Was she thrilled you recognized her talent?

Happy Sewing

Angie said...

WOW, I don't know where to start---I'm on the total opposite side of this country from you. I would LUV LUV LUV to go to your Farmer's Market---O.My.Goodness---and that lady's jacket---and O. My. Goodness those quilts OHOHOH Such a luscious assault of color. Thanks bunches for sharing these pictures with us. :)

Pam said...

What an awesome day! So glad you documented it for us. :)

Julie Fukuda said...

That is a lot of color for a gray day. Thanks for the floral display.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Farmers Markets are the best! We always look forward to our local one held once a month. Are you going to cut up that beautiful kimino?! That Freddy Moran show looks so awesome, what I wouldn't do to see it. All that colour and quilts full of life!! Thank you for sharing these photos. Enjoy creating with those big blooms!

Em said...

What a grand post for a grand day!!!!! So blessed to have you as a friend. Have thought of our time often last eve and today.

Sharon said...

Wow, what a bunch of colorful eye candy! Love the embellished thrift jacket. Just awesome. And Freddy's quilts are just so exciting! I'm hoping to make it to Vashon this week or next to enjoy those luscious quilts of hers.

What a wonderful display of color you shared for these dull grey days we're having. We got a few minutes of sun today, and the trees were glorious!

smazoochie said...

Overcast skies are great for saturated colors -- and what colors you saw!
The appliqué pieces of Freddy Moran's are new to me. She's so exuberant! I LOVE her Lone Star! Eager to see more of your appliqué.

audrey said...

Oh wow! Looks like you definitely had lots to inspire you! Freddy Moran is one of my favorite quilters even though her colors are not even similar to what I like to work with. LOVE her style and confidence!

Barb said...

What an inspirational post. I loved seeing the flowers and fruits of the market.
Freddy's quilt are so fun and vibrant.
I like your piece on the dark ground -

Lisa said...

Oh what a great day! I LOVE all that color. I would have had to cut up big florals too, I may have to even now! Hehe.

Margaret said...

Thank you for this glorious, colorful post and the links to Madrical Embroidery, Freddy Moran's interview and the Edrica Huws video. Looking at another blog today would be overkill! But of course eager to see what you do with the big flowers.

Nancy said...

Wowser! thanks for sharing these wonderful photos and links.

Quilteuse Forever said...

Your market looks like a French market! Full of good veggies and surprises around the corner..
Love the quilts too, I am sure you found inspiration there!

sallgood said...

LOVE all of this post! Thanks for sharing all that color!
(I live in Redmond, so I know what you mean about the fog and gray...sounds like the forecast is for more of the same all week!)

Sujata Shah said...

What a treat to see this post! Farmer's market is always full of surprises. Isn't it? Love the kimono you picked up. Lot's of yardage is right!
Woman in her hand embroidered jacket looks so spirited! Love her smile!
Enjoyed the show through your eyes. Enjoy the gray and blast of colors!

apiecefullife said...

Thank you. Great post. Great photos!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I am sooo jealous. Great friends to hang out with, fabulous farmers' market w yummy vegetables. great freddy quilts - have to say I'm partial to the ones with almost plain white backgrounds then lots of color on top.

fiberchick said...

Wonderful post! Lots of inspiring ideas...

Browndirtcottage said...

What FUN!! What an INTERESTING day!! That lady with her FAB jacket...great!!! Freddy love and inspiration!!
How lucky you live in such a fascinating place!

Mary Keasler said...

You are having way too much fun! I am so jealous. Thanks for the great photos and all the inspiration.

Theodora quilts said...

Hi LeeAnn I love everything ,are you going to cut that beautiful kimono or wear it ? it looks more like cut. I always love your posts they are always so colorful and interesting I get very inspired from it ,I have been super busy ,moved to a new apartment with plenty of space ,I am still moving and detail cleaning ,we just moved in as is no time to do any work, I am also giving quilt lessons in my shop. hope to find time to put up a post at some point . take care ,theodora